Thursday, November 17, 2011

Oreo Cookie Pops Made Me Into Super Mom

Tomorrow is the twins birthday and I made the mistake let them choose what 'treat' they wanted to give their classmates.  They chose "those cookie pops that Auntie Tracy made on Halloween."  Okay, I can do that.  I was lucky enough to get a running start (that means trial and error) to get them just right.  I found the recipe, tweaked it a bit, researched melting chocolates (I now know the difference between tempering and melting.  Yes, there IS a difference!  Want to know more?  CLICK HERE.

I was so excited to get this project done a full day in advance that I forgot to take the step-by-step pictures, so you'll just have to trust me on the directions I give.  First, it is TOTALLY feasible to do this as a last minute dessert, if you just do step one first and freeze.  So, that being said...here is step one!

Ingredients:  32 Oreo cookies (that's one package), 1 brick of cream cheese (the 8 oz. size), 2 cups white chocolate chips, 2 tbsp. Crisco.

Mix the cookies and cream cheese together.  I used a Cuisinart but you can use anything that gets the cookies crushed finely and fully incorporates the cream cheese.  When it's all mixed, it will look like a very dark, rich ball of shiny dirt.  Stick it in the fridge for about 15 minutes.  Take it out, using your hand or a cookie scoop, shape into 1" balls and put them on parchment paper and into the freezer they shall go!

About 30 minutes later, take them out of the freezer and put them into the fridge.  Get your chocolate and Crisco into a microwave safe dish and melt for one minute at about 70% power.  Stir, stir, stir!  I also keep a pot of hot water on the stove to reheat the chocolate in case it starts getting too thick.

If you're making truffles (basically a stick-less pop), have a plate with parchment paper close by to place finished truffles onto.  If you're going to be using sticks and making pops, have a stand or some styrofoam handy to put the sticks into to dry.

Now, Bakerella has the best instructional video that helped me dip the perfect pop and I suggest you watch it because this gal is (1) a genius and (2) also gives some great ideas and tips for lots of pops.  It only takes 4 minutes to watch.  Go, do it now...I'll wait!

Now that you know the basics, get about 4 or 5 truffles out of the fridge at a time.  If you're using a stick, try the technique you saw in the video.  If you're making truffles, use two forks to dip and lift the truffle.  Don't forget to get your sprinkles out if you're decorating them.

Here's how mine turned out.  I'm off to try a 'pseudo-raw cookie dough' truffle recipe next.  I'll be sure to keep y'all posted on that craziness.  Seriously, pseudo-raw cookie dough.  I could make a meal out of that stuff!





2 comments:

  1. omg there's even a dinosaur sprinkles one! Lea, I could kiss you!! In a platonic kind of way of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad I could help...and I'll take the platonic kiss...hee hee! Oh, I got the dinosaur sprinkles at Vons/Safeway, but I bet you could find them just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete