Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Quick! It's a Christmas Craft for the Chirrens!

This is going to be quick because well, I have a few other crafts to get to this evening, what with Christmas hot on my heels and a husband who very possibly could hop online to chat soon!

Those of us who've been Pinterested in pinning and testing out new crafts have probably seen this one.  Borax + boiling water + pipe cleaners (and maybe even yarn) = Awesome and easy Christmas ornaments for the kids to make!

I bought pipe cleaners at the Dollar Store, grabbed a box of borax from the grocery store and gave it a try last night.  It was really easy and fun.  The hardest part for the girls was being careful with the boiling water (p.s., I used my electric tea kettle to heat up batches of water quickly, which made pouring easier for them) and the hardest part for me was waiting!  But, it was really fun watching the crystals form over the course of the evening. 

Here's the link I followed to create my first ornaments.  I have yet to spray them or try any other type of preservation.   I'll update if we get that far before moving on to our next project, which will probably involve Borax and maybe some Elmer's glue (Flubber, anyone?).


So pretty!  Green and red pipe cleaners. 




The white yarn I used to hang the pipe cleaners in the Borax solution was almost better than the pipe cleaners!  The frayed pieces of yarn, almost invisible unless you're looking hard for them, created little droplets of crystals hanging from the yarn.  Stay tuned for more yarn-dippin'.








The girls came up with lots of great ideas for ornaments that we'll, no doubt, be trying over the next few weeks.  Here's a curly icicle and the start of a few candy canes.



I'm sort of thinking this newfound art project might turn out to be something similar to the first week of deep-fryer ownership.  Time to think of all the different things we can dip.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment